Saturday, December 24, 2005

I'll be home for Christmas...well, almost

I'm not sure how many of you have heard already, but I am coming home to the States. Peace Corps is not pulling the program completely, but they are giving people the option to leave. There are a number of ways a person can leave the Peace Corps: resignation (for example, just not getting on the plane to come), administrative separation (for breaking policies), medical separation (for medical conditions they cannot take care of in country), and early termination (just don't want to do it anymore). Until a few days ago, I thought my only option was early termination. However, the Safety and Security Officer for this region was able to explain to the volunteers and staff here that if a volunteer really is concerned about their safety, they shouldn't have to early terminate their service. She has given us the option of either doing a program transfer (where your name gets put on the waiting list to start the next Peace Corps program that becomes available) or interrupted service. I have decided to do an interrupted service. This means that while I'm not ready or sure if I want to another Peace Corps service immediately, I don't want to totally close the door to Peace Corps by early terminating. With an early termination, if you decide you want to do Peace Corps again, you have to wait one year, then start the application process from the very beginning. With an interrupted service, they recognize that your service was interrupted for reasons out of your control (aka suicide bombers). Any time within a year of leaving, if you decide you want to try Peace Corps again, you may, and are sort of considered an insider. You don't need to go through the whole application process, so it makes it a lot easier.
So, while I won't quite make it home for Christmas (my flight is Christmas night!), I should be back in good old Kansas by the 26th. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and hope to see you soon!

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:45:00 PM, Blogger Grioghar said...

Well, you know where I work should you want to say hey.

Good to hear you'll be home safe. Enjoy the jet lag! =)

 
At Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you leaving the country doesn't mean we don't get to hear about your life.

zeke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home