Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I'm still here!

It's been ages since I've posted, I know! Sorry! I have moved to my site, and everything is still very new. Finally found an internet cafe near to my school though, so hopefully I'll get back on a somewhat regular schedule.
Things have been pretty crazy so far. The city which will be my home for the next two years is really pretty awesome, and I'm really happy with it. I've been getting far less harassment (aka catcalls, nothing major) here than anywhere else. Things are off to a bit of a rocky start at my school though. For our first three months at site, Peace Corps kind of has a policy that we don't REALLY have to start teaching yet, because we have so many other things to do: learning about the city, meeting tons of new people, figuring out our work plans. But my supervisor wanted me to start on the first day! I think he thinks just by my speaking English in front of the kids, the ability to speak will magically rub off on them. But in order to be really effective, I do actually need to plan a course and lessons! I'm trying to be firm in what I want (so as not to be walked all over - I am, after all, a VOLUNTEER!), but not make anyone too unhappy with me. ARG!
The city I am in is large enough that there are other volunteers from different countries and different organizations here. I've already made friends with a couple from England and Japan. It's so nice to have a little expat community to escape to once in while! We are all in the same position of being new and not understood here, so we can all help each other.
Sorry this is pretty short for today. Once I get settled in here, I'll have some more time to collect my ideas better! Any questions you want to have answered? Emailing me is easier for me to read than reading posted comments. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home