Sunday, August 07, 2005

Staging in San Francisco

So I am in San Francisco right now for our staging, aka orientation, before we actually get on the plane. It was really difficult saying goodbye to everyone in Manhattan when I left. I've lived abroad before, so you'd think I would be used to this sort of thing, but somehow this time it just seemed really different. Maybe it's because I'll be truly halfway around the world this time, or because I've never been to Asia, or I know that Bangladesh is going to be a lot more difficult and maybe even more dangerous then what I've gone through before. I'm ok now though. It's been so great meeting everyone in my group. It sounds like we do have a full group of 60 people going to Bangladesh. What an awesome group of people! It sounds like we all have so much in common.
Today we had about 6 hours of orientations, and tomorrow I think we have about 8 more hours. It's been pretty general stuff though; I don't think we'll actually get the answers we want until we get to Bangladesh. I think we'll be in the capital city of Dhaka for a few days, then we'll move to our host families. I still don't know anything about my host family, but I'm really excited. This whole orientation has been a roller coaster of ups and downs - expressing our concerns and worries about some things, and sharing our hopes and excitement about others. I can't believe this is finally happening.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathryn, you have been been on our minds this last week. Sara and I have navigated Boston and have wondered how you are meeting your new challenges!!! We are so excited for you and look foward to reading further excerpts from your adventure!! Take care, Debbie Lundberg

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2005 2:23:00 AM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said...

Have a safe trip to bangladesh! I'd love to be in your shoes come next year...

cheers
adrianna
beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home