Friday, August 12, 2005

Safe and sound in Bangladesh

I have arrived in Bangladesh! I've had two night to sleep and try to get over the incredible jetlag, so I am in incredibly high spirits right now. Our two day journey from San Francisco, through Tokyo, through Bangkok, actually went a whole lot quicker and easier than I imagined. I loved the overnight we had in Bangkok, and I'll definitely have to try and get back to Thailand sometime. I think Peace Corps was trying to shock us as much as possible, because they put us up in these complete luxury hotels in both San Fran and Bangkok. Anyway, we arrived safely in Dhaka and were met by some Peace Corps staff. I was so grateful they were there.
The past two days we have basically been cooped up in a pretty nice hotel in Dhaka, learning about cultural, health, language, etc. We started our language training on the first full day we were here! I'm happy though, the sooner the better. Today we check out of the hotel and move to Gazipur, which is where we will have our training for the next three months. I'll meet my host family tonight! There are apparently three people in the family, but that is all I know really.
I can't say much about what Bangladesh is like yet, since we seriously have not been allowed to leave the hotel. In a couple of weeks I should be able to say more. (I don't think I'll have very regular internet access after today.) We got our Bangladeshi clothes yesterday: shalwar kameezes. They are beautiful!
Anyway, gotta go. Hope you are all well!

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 12, 2005 8:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kathryn:
We picked up your new little sister, Rose, last night. Her English is pretty limited, so we've been doing a lot of sign language, picture drawing and using her French-English dictionary. We'll take her to MHS on Monday to get registered for classes - knowing the difficulty Elif had, I think it will be much harder for Rose to follow the teachers.
Everyone asks about you - at the AFS pickup, Peggy Schneider, Tina Turner (no, the other one), Dianna Mayer, the Bridges and Shorts, all sent their regards.
Suzy Davis (red head, sister to Jork last year) speaks a little French so she came over today.
It will be another hot dry weekend in Kansas and you will be in our thoughts.
Love, Mom

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 2:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyyyyy kathryn
I am glad you have a safe trip
I am doing well,taking courses and trying to get ready for college ,I am pretty excited about it ,myschool starts on september

when you move to your house,give me your phone number and you mail address,I would love to call you and mail you
I am so excited for you,I wish you a good luck for everything
love you
elif

 

Post a Comment

<< Home