Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I can write my name! Sort of

I've been learning how to write the Bangla language this past week. It is so difficult! I really enjoy it though. It's almost like math really. The vowels are written differently depending on if they come before or after consonants. Like almost everything else I've encountered, it's overwhelming, but I like it.
I haven't even tried to turn on my laptop yet, since I don't yet have a super duper surge protector, so I haven't been able to upload any photos. Patience! I wear a shalwar kameez everyday normally. It's a long tunic/dress. Then baggy clown pants underneath. Next time I get something made, I'm getting straight leg pants for sure! Another essential part of the outfit is the orna. Oh the orna. It's a scarf that is used to hide the fact that I am a woman. It is so HOT! This is the hottest weather I've ever experienced, and I have to wear a scarf! Even when it is raining outside, you have to wear the orna outside of your raincoat! Maybe I'll get used to it, but for now.. grr...
I do own one sari now. Last Friday I went to a wedding with a friend (American) here and got a sari for the occasion. It's so beautiful, but it's just so much fabric that it's even hotter than the shalwar kameez. Maybe after monsoon season ends and the humidity goes down it will be better and I'll buy some more. Even if I don't wear them, I'm definitely going to have to buy a few more just for the fabric. It is so beautiful! The quality of the fabric may not be the best, but the colors and patterns and not to forget the price are great.
It's nice to hear from all of you, thank you so much for the comments. It's wonderful to know I have so much support. Thank you!

1 Comments:

At Sunday, August 28, 2005 3:54:00 AM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said...

It looks like you're having a blast diving into your new culture! I'm kind of jealous that you're learning a new language, but only a tiny bit. My partner and I just got nominated for Latin America for June 2006, so we are super excited about that. I'm a native spanish speaker any he is fluent so I suppose we'll just be expected to "get working" quicker.

Good luck with everything and post as often as possible about life in Bangladesh!

cheers
adrianna
www.beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home