Sunday, August 21, 2005

Found an internet cafe!

Hey everyone! I found out there is actually an internet cafe just down the street from where I am living in Bangladesh. I'm trying to write very quickly because the electricity cuts out 4 or 5 times a day and I just know it's going to go soon!
The first two weeks here in Bangladesh have been amazing. The first week was very difficult. Absolutely everything is different here from what I am used to - how to eat, how to use the bathroom (oh yes, you know what I mean), the language. Can you believe I have been learning Bangla for ten days and already am having conversations? It's insane how fast we are going. I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed by it all.
It's VERY hot and humid right now. It is monsoon season. That doesn't mean that it rains all the time, but a few times a day really hard. I actually like when it rains because it cools off a little. My alarm clock tells me it is 86 degrees inside at night. And HUMID! I take two or three showers a day.
I'm not sure if everyone heard about the bombing around Bangladesh a few days ago, but if you did, don't worry, everyone is ok. It was just a religious group trying to get attention and wasn't actually as bad as the press made it seem. Everyone was very calm here and PC reacted wonderfully.
The village I am living in has a ton of people, obviously, but it's very nice and peaceful. It's beautiful really. There are coconut and palm trees, plus a ton of others that I don't know yet. I've been eating mango and pineapple everyday and loving it. The food is pretty dang spicy, but my host family tells me that they haven't made it spicy at all. I'm glad they are toning it down for me! I don't want to tell too much about them out of respect and privacy. I have a host mother and brother though, and I really really like them. They've been so patient and helpful with my Bangla.
Anyway, I feel like I've gambled with the electricity too long already, so I'm going to go now. Thank you so much for those of you who have emailed. I'm sorry I haven't responded personally. The internet is just SO slow. Think ten years ago - that slow. I'm thinking of you all and I miss you!!

3 Comments:

At Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Somehow from Search engine I found your Blog. It's nice to see your Blog regarding your Bangladesh tour.

I don't know if you'll have time to read this "comment" or will even notice it.

Anyway, I'm Kishore (age 20 yrs) from Dhaka - capital of Bangladesh which you probably know.

I really like to meet you if its posible; to know about your project or Peace Corps service or whetever I donno what it is.

If you have anything to say, just reply me to kishore@bdfriends.org

I'm looking forward to hear from you. and yes,

Welcome to Bangladesh! I hope you'll have some wonderful time here.

Kishore

 
At Monday, August 22, 2005 9:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola, Kathryn! Still hot and humid here in Wamego, Kansas too, but hasn't rained much at all. Thanks for the updates. Very glad to hear you're doing well. Quick language quiz: how do you say "Hydraulic Excavator" in Bengala? ;)

Jim

 
At Monday, August 22, 2005 10:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for occasional updates from across the world! Kathryn, I visit your site often and will enjoy every posting. Thanks for keeping it updated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home